Remember when my laziness earned me two yellow zucchinis instead of the butternut squash I’d been aiming for? Of course you do! Alright, fine, maybe you have better things to remember with that mind space. But my point here is that I still hadn’t done anything with them. I don’t like to waste food so this is what I did with it.
This recipe was inspired by Ali’s at Inspiralized. You guys already know about my love of spiraled vegetables so this recipe was an obvious choice for me. I was also excited to finally use the Harissa sauce I’d bought almost a month ago. I made a few changes to the recipe for the vegetables I had at hand so here’s my adaptation.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp Mina Harissa Spicy Red Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 2 medium zucchinis, spiralized
- 3 large eggs
- Chopped cilantro to garnish
- Heat olive oil over a large skillet and add garlic and onions. Cook for 1 min and add tomatoes, harissa sauce, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook until it becomes soft.
- Add bell peppers, cover skillet, and cook for an additional minute.
- Toss in zoodles and chickpeas so they are well covered with the sauce.
- Create 3 pockets in the noodles and crack one egg into each pocket. Cover the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes until the egg whites set.
- Garnish with cilantro.
I made this for dinner but I think it would work well as a savory breakfast, too. However you choose to make it, enjoy!