So I had a lot of strawberries left over from that Strawberry Chocolate Tart so I decided to make some scones. And I thought I had this brilliant idea to blend some of the strawberries with the milk mixture in the hope that it would make the dough pink. I was mistaken. It did not turn pink. I no longer trust strawberry cakes that are pink…I’m fairly certain that there must be pink food coloring involved. Well, at least I learned some things while making this recipe.
- 2 cups flour
- 1.5 cups oats
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp frozen butter, grated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 banana
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Granular sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425 deg F.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and butter until it resembles a coarse mixture. Add oats, sugar, and salt and combine.
- Add banana, 1 cup strawberries, vanilla, and almond milk to a blender to make a smoothie. Add this to the flour mixture and continue to whisk.
- Dice the other cup of strawberries and gently fold into dough.
- On a silicone mat, form dough into a large disc about 1 inch high. Cut the disc into 8 wedges. Sprinkle granular sugar over the dough.
- Bake for 14 minutes, until golden brown or a toothpick comes out clean.